I’ve harped on the issue in the past, PPC ads that go to landing pages that make no sense or are horrible for the user. Ion Interactive had a webinar today entitled “Landing Page Bloopers and Best Practices” which illustrated this point very well. The number of these mis-matched PPC ad to the landing page is even more prevalent then I thought. It seems to cross all kinds of companies from baby clothes retailers to marketing software companies large and small.
Serious bloopers include:
- Sending users to an error page
- Sending users to the home page
- Sending users to a page that has nothing to do with the product or service in the Ad.
- Ad info not matching the landing page information
- No calls to action
- Making users ‘search’ or click too many times to get to the item or service in the Ad.
- Ad text mentions a promotion that does not appear on the landing page.
- Information overload – Too much information without a call to action.